The high standard of teaching at Wyvern is supported by continual investment in facilities. The library, ICT and Science departments are housed in purpose built modern buildings. Most recently a recent £1.2 million sports development which includes dance studio, fitness suite, sports hall, tennis courts and multi-use games area has enhanced the sporting facilities available to students.
- Wyvern is the first of the new specialist Technology Colleges in Hampshire.
- As with all Specialist Schools, Wyvern is sponsored by business and industry. The college is working with its industrial partners to enrich the curriculum and ensure greater awareness and readiness for the ‘world of work’.
- There is an emphasis on establishing Wyvern as a centre of excellence in all subjects.
- Wyvern offers a broad curriculum opportunity for all and ensures that all students have a balanced and challenging educational opportunity.
- High standards are expected from all students in all subjects and achievements are recognised and celebrated in positive ways.
- The college has a proud tradition of musical excellence.
- Wyvern has a commitment to, and proven record of, raising standards in education.
- Information Technology is readily available as a tool for learning for all students in all subject areas. To this end, the college has established an ever-growing computer network which provides all students with their own network space and e-mail facility.
- Wyvern is the first specialist Humanities college in Hampshire.
- Students have access to a wide range of academic and recreational activities. The extra-curricular activities on offer, help to extend and enrich their education.
- Parents are encouraged to work with students and their tutors through an innovative programme of Academic Reviews to ensure a supported target-centred approach to individual development.
- Student progress is closely monitored through both the Pastoral and Departmental teams.
- The liaison work with the pyramid schools has been widely acclaimed. A large amount of support work is being developed through the specialist school initiative.
- The college is developing a wide range of learning styles which embrace imaginative use of technology coupled with proven, more traditional, methods.
- A state-of-the-art Health and Fitness suite provides opportunities for students to learn in PE, languages and Science.
- A new dance studio complete with seating for 120 is the latest enhancement to the college’s facilities.
- The college offers parents the opportunity to send and receive e-mail communication.
- The bright and airy library has a suite of internet-linked computers where students are able to work during, before and after the college day. The library has two qualified librarians to support staff and students.
Bearing in mind the Specialised Status of the College, investment in Technology is a high priority at Wyvern.
Computer suites and laptops allow students to use ICT whenever it will enhance learning. Through these resources, we believe that students will learn how to use ICT thoughtfully and effectively, recognising both its strengths and limitations.
Technology workshops are equipped to a high standard, with investment in some of the most up to date specialist CAD/CAM equipment.
All subjects, have access to computers or laptops, data projectors and interactive whiteboards.